Tuesday, March 27, 2012


Hey Now, Hey Now,

Day 12, Round 1...by the general plan, this puts me exactly 10% into this thing. I like percentages....everything is determined by percentages. If I do 3 rounds of chemo at 21 days per, and 7 weeks (35 days) of radiation, that is 4 mos, thus the 120 days. You with me?

So, for me, a mini-milestone.

But I ain't getting cocky....2-3 days after the bag was disconnected, the storm began, both inside and outside the house. Some real rough seas, like the worst flu, but I staved off the nausea save for one case of spacing the meds.....fevers/shakes back to fevers....everything is burned from the chemo, from lips (wasted) the nose, ALL the way through the mouth and the complete GI tract. Know what I'm sayin'? My face and chest were fire engine red and it felt like it. The backs of my hands were hot. Weird.

It got so bad I didn't care about March Madness, and that's about all I can say about that.

But Sunday things cleared....woke up (after my now patented 2-3 hour nap pattern) took inventory and declared we were going to feel good today! And I did! And again Monday, enough to go in and see my beloved colleagues at our Monday office meeting. GREAT energy from everyone, and outpouring of support, just super.

That was the last time they, or y'all for that matter, will have seen me in my TS state, cause Kiki and I went into Snippity Chix this afternoon and buzzed me big time! I now look like the cat on Breaking Bad, fully shaven though the goatee is still there. We immediately went to Berkeley Hat Co on Telegraph and scored me some bad-ass lids (no, not those, but I like the Berkeley connection to the joke). Broke out the sun screen too, cause I am a heat sensor now!

Kiki loves the look, and I think you will too. Hey, we all gotta make our way through this slough, and mixing things up, well, what the hell....if God wants it to be this way for me, then I guess I'm in. A gal at the salon said that if your hair is falling out (which it was beginning to prior to it's execution) then the chemo is working, so HEY NOW.

As an aside, the tumor on my neck, to my touch, is down a conservative 80%. You feeling me? We're on this sucker, and the reason is all of you. You are with me, you know and I know it.

Stay with me, don't fall off, keep praying, keep talking me up, don't be part of the initial rush, stay with it.....tug of war is a long game that takes persistence. Remember, worst case I am in the treatment game till the MLB All-Star Game. That's only 1/2 a season. Took till freaking Halloween to get my teeth last year, so COME ON!

Remember, Lafayette Community Music Festival, May 5th......worked on facets of it today.

www.TownHallTheatre.com

Thanks to the many who have bought tix already. Please plan to stay till 11:30 when we wrap.....it will be so worth it.

I love you all,

TomCat

10 comments:

  1. "There is a road, no simple highway,
    Between the dawn and the dark of night,
    And if you go no one may follow,
    That path is for your steps alone."

    We're following Stack...not alone.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom,

    Shared you blog on my Facebook for some friends who might not have heard yet.

    I like the percentage thing. An end in sight. I hope you are well enough to catch some of the Final four. It would be like me not caring about World Cup soccer (yes, Tom soccer is a sport).

    Played some golf with Deneffe, Duyn and Bruno Saturday.

    If attitude has any impact on outcome (and I think it does) you got this one nailed!

    My continued prayers and best wishes for you and family!

    John McCarthy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must dig into my hat patterns and come up with something über special. Thinking of you every day. Sending more love than words can say. Xoxoxox. JC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tom,
    Love the attitude, having battled my own golf ball sized squamous cell carcinoma at the base of my tongue 5 years ago I'm living proof there's light at the end of the tunnel. The radiation is a b***h but you've got the right attitude to beat this. As a friend of mine said to me when I was battling it, "There no line in Vegas on cancer winning, even Krusty the Clown who bet his last $5Gs on the Washington Generals - 'They were due' - wouldn't lay a bet against you." Hunker down and kick the crap out of it.

    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. TS with a shaved head and a goatee? Now that's a look I can get behind! All teasing aside, your updates continue to demonstrate why I and everyone else who is on this journey with you have no doubt that the cancer has met its match in Tom Stack. Keep those positive percentages in mind, your strength up, your food down and soak up the tremendous amount of love and good vibes coming your way from all points. RC

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tom,
    Percentages? What percent chance would a real estate broker have of selling a house, three years ago, in the worst market of our lifetime for the asking price? NOT GOOD! As you know, Tom, you not only got our asking price, but the sale was complete in three weeks! All because of your drive, strong will and that motor inside you that's always pushing forward.

    Keep that strong, positive attitude and with all the love and support from your family and friends, you're going to kick this cancer's ass!

    Love,
    Mike and Shanon (charter members of the Stack Pack)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We're thinking about you everyday over here, TS.
    I love the coup d'tat on the hair! :) Now that's grabbing the bull by the follicles!
    You're inspiring us all, my friend. Kick it's butt!
    Drewmon

    ReplyDelete
  9. 17% and counting. We're with you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tom,
    Coach Dekker here. I just heard about your situation when I ran into Tim Halloran the other day. I've read your blog..hang in. You're like your old man: tough. You have always been one of my most loyal players. I'll be damn sure to keep you in my thoughts.
    Dek

    ReplyDelete