Thursday, July 19, 2012


July 19, 2012                                                                                       Steve Young Day



Mr. October, #9 Reggie Jackson, handed the flaming torch (allegorical to the innards of my mouth) over to Steve Young today, and I have just returned from #8…..I’m  staring at #7 in the garage right now, let’s assign that to John Elway. Back in 1983, I hyper-extended my knee in a post college basketball game, and John’s twin sister Jana was my Physical Therapist down in San Jose. She worked me hard through the process, challenging me to get stronger and better every day. I think of her now, she would probably be doing the same thing with that strong athlete’s mentality. She passed away a decade or so ago, so this one is for Jana and her spirit. Seek inspiration, it will pop out like an angel.

I double dip on Friday, receiving #7 in the AM and then returning in the afternoon for #6, my idol, Bill Russell, the champion’s champion! This process of two in a day has been done before, and though I am concerned that my weekend will be less than an island cruise, it will allow me the Final Five to complete the following Friday the 27th. 4 of those 5, Tues-FR, will be a more laser focused treatment….remember when they told me I had 4 more to do? These are the ones. But it won’t hit the broad area it is hitting now, won’t burn me unmercifully as it is doing now. The upside is my current scorch area will begin the healing a tad early, and up from the Cable Car Turnaround I will ascend.

True, Bill Russell deserves his own day, but whatcha’ gonna’ do?

I love hearing from you out there, so chime in, via email or through the blog. It is good to know you are there.

We’re 30% through the countdown….


3 comments:

  1. TS,

    Gotta agree with Mr. McManus; you defintiely need to find a way to make wrting a much bigger part of your years ahead because you have been painting masterpieces in these blog entries.
    Hard to believe the Top 5 countdown rolls next week but you've made it this far like a champ and getting past this phase and on to the next is what all the pain and effort has been for. And I'm pretty sure nobody would be more impressed with your second treatment in one day being numbered in his honor than Bill Russell!
    Booking an appointment today myself for that new left knee so I can be at full strength for getting your cable car up that hill, so I'll keep you posted on that one as it approaches.
    Go hard today, rest plenty this weekend and get ready to sprint from third and steal home next week!

    -RC-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stan Musial wouldn't be a bad #6 Tom, but I don't think I will be bouncing Russell. Now you have to go DiMaggio for #5. Yankee or not...he is local.

    Thanks for the update. I will admit, does not sound very fun, but seems like you are handling it with the proper attitude and fortitude.

    All I can say is, which isn't much, is keep it up and there are better days ahead.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tom,

    Heard you on the rough road right about now. Wanted you to know you are in my thoughts and prayers.
    Dance the good dance and hang in there!

    xxoo Connie Bonner Mosley

    ReplyDelete