Monday, April 23, 2012

Round Two Day 21 FINAL DAY
Gotta tell ya, the last couple weeks on the psyche has been a tough ride. Not feeling good doesn't help, it is just the darn unknown that opens the door to the dreaded four letter "F" word.....that word being FEAR.
I don't tend to operate out of that manner.....we all have urgencies, but the fear can take you off course. We managed it, but understandably, it was the trepidation of the Monday meeting and the extent of the success of the chemo that had me on edge.
Even though my neck tumor is virtually undetectable to the touch, what about the throat?.....although, refer back to my last post, I have no idea what can survive the GI Tract onslaught......
Well, it turns out, not too much. The results of Friday's PET Scan were learned in this AM's meeting. Kiki and I went in positive and were excited to be informed that the throat tumor, originally about 1", is not detectable on a molecular level (the Scan). That means it is VERY small, and OUR attack has done a GREAT job. The actual two tumors in my neck are down 80% plus. Can't touch or see em, but they are there.
Net, net, "the treatment is doing exactly what we want it to do," says my Oncologist. We have elected to do Round 3, though THIS time, we are not going to let the enemy outflank us and attack from unprotected sides. We will begin the Magic Mouthwash earlier, we have upped the pain meds where applicable, and the frickin' 5-FU that comes home with me for 5 days is going to be scaled down 20% in volume....like one less day. You know how I like percents. On top of that, I can swing by the center and load up on saline if I am having trouble with liquids, as well as manage things better with more of a dialogue with my lead nurse.
True, the effects are cumulative, meaning the 3rd Round is sitting on top of the other two, but with a more aggressive and proactive stance from our side. we may be able to do this one better. Lordy Jesus, make it true!
Alas, it feels soooo much better to know that the work we are all putting in to fight this bitch is working......I/we were just hanging on the news today......
This will allow for a break from mid-May to June 4th when I begin radiation for 7 weeks, 5x/week. But I like the 2 week break, that is welcome, and the light I am chasing right now!!
Thanks and kudos to my SI '75 classmates and Championship teammates Danny B. and Tone-Cat for coming over Sunday, along with ex-roomie Tommy McManus to kick it with me and watch Kiki sing in the Lafayette Earth Day celebration. All of you sending the cards, soups and vibes, it's amazing. The Lafayette Community Festival www.townhalltheatre.com   is steaming straight ahead, please come if you can, I will literally be in the middle/hard part of the round, so I plan to work my hardest to be there and say hey to everyone, as well as do my duties on the mic!!! Good to have goals! With our new approach, I am so fired up for the opportunity.
And, finally, I was honored to be at my nephew's 1st Communion celebration last Saturday. I am so proud of little William. I am now his godfather as well, so a wonderful Saturday I had, seeing all of PA's family and best friends.
That's what it is all about, and that is who you are all to me.....keep it coming, don't let up, I am now approaching my LAST ROUND, not the 1st or 2nd....the LAST......then the break......LAST is such a better word right now.
I love youfor the wind you are putting under my wings......my gas in the tank....some of you, with a mere one line, have said something that resonates daily, just great wisdom.
Across the Rio Grand-ee-oo,
XO
TS

6 comments:

  1. Stack Man - so happy to hear the treatments are working and the hard work is paying off. Keep up the great work. Hope to see you soon.

    Timmy C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See your e-mails...too much to share on a blog.
    Buckets

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you this weekend Brother. Huge thoughts and prayers from the Hall house. My girls pray for you nightly. Fight on through this Last round and you're home.

    Steve Hall

    ReplyDelete
  4. Digging hearing the good news about results treatment, T.
    A right pain in the neck though, I'd say ole' chap? (and everywhere else from what you say). You're in our thoughts over here every day and I enjoyed talking with you last week.
    You sounded fantastic, Tom, really! We all know you're a persistent bugger.
    This thing will never have a chance to get to second base.
    Looking forward to seeing you at Town Hall this weekend.
    Drew

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear things are progressing so well Tom. Good luck with the last round. Finish strong!
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tom,

    Grateful Dead lyrics? Having had the privilege of living with you for four years of course I have a few, but then again too few to mention.

    Please allow me to pull a some lyrics off the shelf that I feel apply to you. They should be especially significant on this night as you continue to fight your illness while celebrating the Lafayette Music Festival.

    Do you believe like I believe? Do you believe in magic?
    If you believe in magic don’t bother to choose if it’s jug band music or rhythm and blues. Just go and listen it’ll start with a smile. It won’t wipe off your face no matter how hard you try. Believe in the magic of rock and roll….…..the magic’s in the music and the music’s in me!

    Looking forward to sharing with you this evening. Be Strong.
    No, I don’t believe we ever had a cassette tape among the hundreds that was labeled: The Lovin’ Spoonful

    Harm’

    ReplyDelete