Wednesday, June 20, 2012


June 20th                                                              Willie Mays Day               



Knocked another one off today….I’m feeling good, but kinda waiting for the other shoe to drop. My brothers in arms, the fellas on the other side of this, have all cautioned that the first 10 days are do-able, you are wondering what the fuss is about. None of them had the Erbitux treatments that I am enduring each Monday, though.

This is a “monoclonal antibody therapy.” It goes in my port, same place as the chemo went. This drug identifies receptors on both cancer cells and normal cells. These receptors stick out from the cells. Erbitux then attaches to these receptors and literally blocks the signaling agents from attaching and starting the cell dividing process, where new cancer cells are generated.

 Wild, huh?         

 I have had 3 infusions of this stuff, 4 to go. Side effects are rash and potential acne, but we are all over this  with medications, creams and steroids that aggressively mitigate that. We shall see, won’t we?

I got real red on Tuesday of this week, but it calmed down.  It has only recently been used on throat and neck cancer, having been introduced on colorectal cancer patients initially. I plan on being different, and in the low percentage of patients that get rocked by this drug.    

Thanks to all who sent in numbers. I am now staring at #23 in my garage by the door, and I’m going with Pistol Pete Maravich from LSU as my choice, ignoring the superb Michael Jordan. I will enter the weekend with 21 remaining, which means I will be almost 40% complete, and that is a GOOD number.

 I’m still eating, working, walking Jammer, and going to Sam’s Tournament of Champions baseball games. The Yankees won the Lafayette Little League title, and have beaten Concord in 108 degree weather on Saturday, and North Oakland yesterday over in Alameda. They play again TH and if they win, will play for the East Bay Division 4 championship on Saturday. He is now raking the ball, and in Sam’s words, “I was only a Home Run away from the cycle” on Saturday.

This is an amazing way to cap off a Little League career, and we are eating it up, every minute. The only bummer is I can’t yell at the umps much, but God works his wonders in small and interesting ways.

 Check back soon. I love you all.

TS

7 comments:

  1. Donnie Baseball for #23? Pistol Pete is great choice. HOF'er Ryne Sandberg wore 23 as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty impressive about Sam's little league team as well. Good luck to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since you are almost down to your Top Ten and the decline of Western Civilization can be traced directly to the moment some parent with a son who can't play baseball like young Sam saw Pele for the first time on "ABC's Wide World of Sports" and decided soccer might be a good alternative for his lad and others of his ilk, I feel it my patriotic duty to suggest your number 10 slot go to Walt Frazier, coolest NBA point guard ever, or Tim Hardaway, one of the most dominating Warriors to ever lace them up. Heck, I'm even down with Steve Ruegg's HS baseball number 10 and I never saw him play! Ok, I can rest easy now knowing I at least tried to change your mind....

    All kidding aside, the way you've handled this first third of your treatment can only be described as inspirational, so you keep doing what you're doing and the rest of us will keep the light shining on you.

    A flying chest bump and continued good wishes to Sam in his run at the Little League championship. Put me in Coach, I'm ready to play, indeed!

    -RC-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Tom. Greetings from Rothbury, Michigan. I'm prepping the Electric Forest Festival site for our vendor friends. Send us the positive Club Dead juju for good weather and record profits in the vendor village! Keep on ripping through the pages, ready for the next chapter! Thanks, Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tom, I can always round up a few loud obnoxious guys (Fran Mullins Club Reunion?!) and yell at the ump for you!

    With all due respect to Pele and Walt, there can be no other #10 than our all-world SS of old......Johnnie LeMaster!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Giants in 1st place I see. Could be playoff year Tom. Power on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stack
    Heard the news today, oh boy . . .

    I don't think you could do much better than #32. Ever. Power. Performance. Cool. Calm confidence. Excellence. Leadership. Clutch. Teammate. Staying power. Winner. Class. I feel his energy going your way now, even as I type.

    Sending you my power. Be strong, Bro.

    Stro

    ReplyDelete