Saturday, June 9, 2012


June 9th, 2012 

 I love numerology…..I have added, multiplied and divided the numbers on license plates since I was in 4th grade. I make words using the letters, ideally in the order of the letters…..then the car goes by and I try it again. Imagine my excitement when personalized plates came out……got to figure out words like they do on Wheel of Fortune…..I think it goes without saying my ability to track dates of various Grateful Dead shows and recant the nuances of the show, the town, the drive in or out, the camping scene is legendary, by many other’s admission…… but mostly it’s the numbers. ….well, Thursday, after mentioning Larry Bird and Kareem as # 33’s, I throw out Jim Brown (no slouch, to be sure) as my pick for #32…….well, I blew it, and as the world works, my “shoulda’  been choice for #32” Bill Walton calls me……on Day 32! You can’t make this stuff up. By the by, Bill and I share a love of numbers and their infinite twists. He can’t recall dates of shows like me, or maybe even where, but I chalk that up to years of NCAA and NBA traveling, dates, arenas, hotels…..and for those not in the know, NO ONE will ever wear #32 at UCLA again, ever!

Since he didn’t know the error of my ways, I didn’t have to apologize for naming Jim Brown, but I am switching over to Bill Walton for Friday’s tag.

Which brings up a cool idea…..a sports figure for every number as we descend to victory. Pat Alongi, SCU ’79 told me to look forward to Willie Mays, Joe Montana, Steve Young and even the non-illustrious Dorrell Wright of the Warriors, who wears #1. We can do better than that for number one, but the others sound great to me.

Next on the list, #31 (Monday’s target) and I am going to throw out the name Reggie Miller. I invite my sports fiends to offer up other names for other numbers, everyone has to have an identity. The above #’s 24, 16, 8 are now assigned. More points for Bay Area legends! I will have Sam track this, and as we walk in the garage door from yet another treatment, we tear it away, revealing the next one.

Listen, there is pretty much zero fun in this whole process, so play along, would ya’?!??!

On another note, the lasers shooting down from directly above align to the circled X’s on my mask, insuring they don’t radiate my eyeball instead of my throat……so they can stay, I’m good with them.

At the conclusion of Friday’s treatment, I stand at Reggie Miller….I don’t suspect he is going to call me over the weekend, but stranger things have happened.

I’ll check back soon. Y’all’s feedback has been great, inspiring me to continue and be more frequent, which I will do.

TS


13 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, indeedy, BW not showing up as your pick for number 32 jumped off the screen at me as well but I chalked it up to your possibly being "lazed and confused" after treatment.
    Speaking of all-time centers, I'd like to throw out USF and Celtic great Bill Russell as your pick for number 6, though you could go Dr.J for style points. Can't really lose either way.
    Stay strong and keep that wheel on fire until you hit number 1.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley says hi and is thinking of you Tom. She graduated Miramonte on Friday and off to U. of Redlands.

    Not sure what # we are on Tom, but 34 has to be Walter Payton. I say Reggie Lewis (Celts and my college alum at Northeastern for 35...although I am sure there are better at #35). 36, can't think of off the top of my head. 37, being Yankee guy, I think of Casey Stengel...even though before my time, I can picture him in the uni. Will have to work on the others. I like this game. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. is there such a think as Bay Area legends? Kidding!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gotta put in Aaron Rodgers (I think he's #9) and Javhid Best (#4). Leave out those Stanford cats as much as you can!

    Mark - so great you thought of Sweetness!

    Hang in there Tom. The unknown has now been revealed. From here on out you can focus on getting healthy rather than on what's coming.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Numbers Game - I Like This....so first of all let us give thanks that Wayne Gretsky (#99) will not be used...now today was Day 31 and I'm hoping that Robb Nen made the sheet because he could shut down cancer. Tuesday, Day 30 has to be the Baby Bull, next up Jason Schmidt(29), in the squat on Thursday (28) would be Buster Posey (he overcame his set-back), Juan Marichal could kick the radiation machine while laying on his back (27). Here I jump to some favorites: Is it Billy Martin or The Wizard of OZ at #1, Mr. Durable Cal Ripken Jr. #8, J.T. Snow #6, Lou Gehrig #4 – like Tom the “luckiest man on the face of the earth”, University of Santa Clara’s own Randy Winn #2, Shotgun Cain at #18, The Pride of North Beach, Joltin’ Joe aka The Yankee Clipper at #5, Chris Mullin @ 17, Yogi Berra #8 because it ain’t over ‘til it’s over, #19 should go to Johnny U., #22 Eli Whiteside (what other Giant was often seen wearing Grateful Dead T-Shirts?), Mickey Mantle or John Elway – you make the call wearing #7, Ted Williams at #9 (because I've been to Fenway with TS there has to be a Red Sox), Tom Meschery (St.Mary’s and Lamorinda’s Finest) at #14 – sorry Charlie Hustle; Does #21 go to CAL’s Jeff Kent or Neon Dion who wore it on baseball & football fields? John Brodie has #12 wrapped up as he buddies with Mrs. Stack, Fran Mullins #16 – thanks Roy; Will the Thrill at #22 you definitely want him on your team. Can’t wait until Jim Otto day….Respectfully submitted in memory of namesake -#3 Harmon Killebrew !

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, if I timed this right, you should be at Darrell Green, #28 from my home town team the Washington Redskins. Leave it to you to create a clever new sports trivia game to make the unfun fun! You are chipping away at the percentages and milestones, closing in on that goal line! When you do, we all win. Love ya, Tom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Honorable mention to Elston Howard for #32.

    ReplyDelete
  10. no idea where we are at, but let me start at #26

    26 - Rod Woodson
    25 - Bonds - grudgingly :)
    24 - Mays
    23 - I want to say Mattingly, but it is of course Jordan
    22 - Mike Bossy (any hockey fans out there?)
    21 - Clemente
    20 - Barry Sanders
    19 - The Golden Arm...Johnny U.
    18 - Peyton Manning
    17 - Havlicek
    16 - Joe Montana (there you go Bay Area)
    15 - Want to go with my guy Thurman Munson, but has to go to Bart Starr
    14 - Pete Rose, with the Big O right behind him
    13 - now why would anyone wear this #? I have to go Alex Rodriguez, as much as I don't want to. Chamberlain is righ there though.
    12 - Tom Brady, San Mateo
    11 - Mark Messier
    10 - Pele?
    9- Teddy Ballgame, Ted Williams. Not just great ballplayer, but world class fly fisherman and veteran pilot of WWII and Korea. A bit ornery at times, but talk about being a "man's man". What a life he had.
    8 - I say Yogi (based on my Yankee bias), but many will say Kobe...Steve Young ...and Joe Morgan is no slouch
    7 - Mantle
    5 - DiMaggio
    6 - Musial
    4 - Gehrig
    3 - Ruth
    2- Jeter (of course)
    1- Billy Martin (just to so the Yanks can dominate 7 thru 1), but Ozzie Smith is probably the better choice

    ReplyDelete
  11. although honorable mention to MY guy, the "Scooter", Phil Rizzuto for #10. Grew up to him, Bill White, Frank Messer...and later with Bobby Murcer, Tom Seaver and Jim Kaat calling Yankee games on WPIX, Channel 11 in New York. Of course he was known for the saying "Holy Cow" whenever something amazing happened and he called everyone he broadcast with by their last name. "Seaver, White, Murcer...you get the idea. They actually gave him a cow ("Holy Cow") and brought it onto the field pre-game for one of his birthday's, and in typical Rizzuto fashion, he tripped over the cows leg and went down. That image is still in my head and can be visualized by all Yankee fans of that era. And can't forget that he used the term "huckleberry" constantly...so and so is a "huckleberry".

    Ok, enough of memory lane re: Phil Rizzuto.

    Go get 'em Tom...don't be a huckleberry :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a girl...I can't play this game.
    Wait....
    16- Jim Morrison- freshman quarterback, S.I.
    That was the last time I noticed a number on a jersey.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tom,

    10-Pele, 14-Johan Cruyff, 5-Franz Beckenbauer

    Glad to hear you are closer to the end than the beginning on treatment.

    What is Matt Cain's number?

    John

    ReplyDelete